Complexity and Basic Income 2018-07-09T11:50:03+00:00

Home Page Forums Social Complexity Complexity and Basic Income

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,

What’s your view on basic income?

Peter

Joss ColchesterJoss Colchester
    Keymaster

Hi, personally I don’t think it is a very good idea, it is much smarter to give people the means to create their own lively hood than build a system that concentrates resources within centralized entities – creating wealth inequalities – and then take wealth from those organizations, centralize it within public institutions, and redistribute it at very high overhead costs. It is simply smarter to enable and strengthen productive capabilities out on the edges of the network in the first place.

Peter NorlindhPeter Norlindh
    Participant

Thanks, Joss.

On the one hand I think that UBI can facilitate a number of good super-linear processes such as giving people more security and freedom pursue education, start a business and ensure that their kids embark on a good trajectory. I think UBI could result in more people pursuing their full potential and approaching life with an adaptive strategy, allowing the emergence of more vitality and compassion in society.

I also think that UBI may devalue money per se, and thus reduce the actual impact of growing financial inequality (which is a direct consequence of how financial systems are often deviced).

But on the other hand, people might settle for a passive life without aspirations… However, I’d like to think more highly of our species.

Do you see a sustainable alternative to UBI, as we proceed to make human labour increasingly abundant?

Btw, please expand a little on your last point. It sounds interesting, but I didn’t quite get it 🙂

Peter

Joss ColchesterJoss Colchester
    Keymaster

Yes I think a sustainable alternative to UBI is to create systems, networks and technologies that give people the means of production, e.g. 3D printers, wikihouses, grow systems, computers etc.

I just came across this quote I think it explains this as clear as is possible. “Inclusive growth is not just going to be about the distribution of value, but it is actually going to be about the distribution of how we make value, so it’s no longer going to be possible just to say we are just going to distribute profits but actually it’s going to be about how we distribute the process of how we make value” – Indy Johar
    http://bit.ly/2JcCRov

Peter NorlindhPeter Norlindh
    Participant

That makes a lot of sense, Joss. But when I look at myself as an example, I find that the most difficult to come by means of production is time… Time to think, learn and make something really happen. Not only would I have to figure out and implement a business idea, but I would also have to solve the more difficult problem of getting my hands on some time. The latter would require significant sacrifice and risk taking, and innovation in and of itself.

And considering the low statistical chance of start-up success, it does take a fair amount of risk tolerance to even try. This, I believe, is a major filter that limits autonomy in society. Also, it selects for risk prone personalities rather than individuals who might have a more cautious and thorough approach. Your point would greatly eleviate this, but people like myself would still struggle to partake because our time is tied up in the economic spider-web.

I’m not sure what a good policy would look like. But I personally would have attempted to start my own business at any given moment in my life, had I been able to allocate time for it.

Peter

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.